2nd Newbury is currently lucky enough to have both a Senior Patrol Leader (SPL) as well as some Young Leaders (YLs).
Senior Patrol Leaders
A Senior Patrol Leader is an older Scout who has shown that they have the experience and leadership skills to act as a Patrol Leader for the whole troop.
As a result, they do not have a patrol flash on their scout uniform, and stand with the leaders during meeting ceremonies.
A Young Leader is an Explorer Scout who has volunteered to help out a Scout, Cub or Beaver section and is involved as part of the leadership team of that section.
Both SPLs and YLs expected to behave responsibly and set a good example to all other Scouts in the Troop.
They are expected to support the leaders and the troop at meetings and events, as follows:
- Organise a game at the beginning of the evening.
- Make sure flag is ready for flag break.
- Stand with Leaders when in horseshoe.
- Allocate points to first patrol ready for flag break and down.
- Guide Patrol Leaders if necessary.
- Organise Patrol Leader Forums each term.
- Report problems to Leaders.
- Assist with programme planning and camps.
- Be a good role model for the Troop.
- Have FUN
Young Leader Uniform
- Green t-shirt, dark trousers and necker on a weekly basis.
- Explorer uniform for events such as Parades